Mahnomen man dies from exposureA Mahnomen man died, apparently from exposure to frigid weather, and his body was found Saturday morning in the storage area of a Mahnomen business.
MAHNOMEN, Minn. -- A Mahnomen man died, apparently from exposure to frigid weather, and his body was found Saturday morning in the storage area of a Mahnomen business.
According to the Mahnomen County Sheriff’s Office, a call came in at 10:44 a.m. Saturday that a resident of the city found a man lying on the ground in a storage building at the resident’s place of business. The resident said he wasn’t sure whether the man was breathing.
Taken by ambulance to the local hospital, Gary Goodwin, 61, was pronounced dead. An autopsy’s preliminary finding was death caused by hypothermia with complications of possible drug use. More toxicology test results are pending. There were no signs of foul play, according to the sheriff’s office.
The temperature in the region rose Friday from about 8 degrees in the morning to near 30 degrees by midnight, and began falling Saturday to below zero by Saturday night, according to the National Weather Service.