Automotive shop in Miltona catches fireOwners of Wade’s Automotive and Repair in downtown Miltona plan to rebuild after a fire badly damaged the shop Tuesday.
By: Al Edenloff, Alexandria Echo Press
Owners of Wade’s Automotive and Repair in downtown Miltona plan to rebuild after a fire badly damaged the shop Tuesday.
Karie Eide, wife of owner Wade Eide, thanked all the firefighters who responded to the blaze and said they appreciate all the support they’ve been receiving from friends and the community.
Firefighters from three departments battled the fire at 109 Main Street for about five hours.
It’s believed to have started when something ignited gasoline that leaked from a pickup truck that was being worked on, according to Al Lange, former Miltona fire chief.
When Miltona firemen ventilated the building and hosed down the burning truck, thick clouds of black and gray smoke billowed out of an overhead door of the shop.
Fire departments from Parkers Prairie and Carlos provided mutual aid, bringing in tankers and manpower to help fight the smoky blaze.
The shop is located next to Iverson Insurance Agency, which was evacuated as a precautionary measure.
Witnesses at the scene reported hearing loud popping noises from the shop when the fire started shortly after 10 a.m.
Douglas County sheriff's deputies also assisted and detoured traffic from entering Miltona on County Road 14.
No one was injured.
Three customer vehicles were destroyed in the fire. The Eides’ new Chevrolet Impala, which they had bought on Monday with only 8,000 miles on it, was also lost in the blaze.
An insurance adjuster was at the shop Thursday to assess the damage. A dollar amount had not been determined yet.
Karie Eide said they’ll have to replace the roof, and a wall was also damaged.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the shop and no other structures were damaged. They were on scene until late afternoon on Tuesday.