Wedding cake trends this season
In recent years, wedding cakes have become more of an artistic centerpiece than just a confectionery treat. Couples often seek out renowned wedding cake bakers for a cake that will amaze the crowd and complete the theme of the wedding.
The average couple will spend between $700 to $800 for their wedding cake. Although many catering halls or reception sites will include the wedding cake in a package deal, many couples choose to order their cake from a specialty bakery who creates culinary masterpieces.
If television trends are any indication, many people are opting to spend several hundred to thousands of dollars on a customized wedding cake. These fondant and buttercream creations may be elaborate in nature, so much so that they'll likely need to be ordered several months in advance.
Couples looking for something a bit different for their upcoming nuptials, may want to consider these trends in wedding cakes.
- 3-D accents on the cake, such as graphic appliques.
- A black-and-white motif that gives the cake a simplistic, yet trendy appeal.
- A lot of bold color in the cake, instead of just white or ivory.
- Dramatic monograms that can add class to the cake.
- Painted cakes with edible food coloring paint that feature beautiful landscapes or a portrait.
- Cakes that mirror the style of the wedding gown, including fondant ruffles and appliques.
Many couples still opt for the traditional cake, and that is always in style. Instead of experimenting with the outside of the cake, couples can be creative with cake flavor and fillings. Imagine cutting open the cake to find red velvet or a chocolate ganache filling. (MS)