Veterans Service office available to help
Editor’s note: This is part of a series of letters the Echo Press is publishing as part of national County Government Month.
To the editor:
Ray Kallstrom has managed the Veterans Service office for Douglas County the past 30 years. He has an administrative assistant.
Some of the statistics of the Veterans Service office for a typical year are:
• Personal visits to office: 1,850
• Telephone calls: 4,000
• New files started: 237 per year average over the past 5 years
• Direct VA dollars paid to veterans and their dependents: $9.6 million
• Value of medical care at VA Medical Centers: $8.3 million
• Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs assistance: $42,000
Our Veteran’s Service office is available for all veterans and we urge them to get in touch to see if there are ways that the county can help. The phone number is (320) 762-3883.