Torgy’s on the Lake has new owners
One of Pope County’s oldest family-owned businesses has changed hands after 68 years of operation in Long Beach.
Floyd and Ann Torguson opened the first Torgy’s on North Lakeshore Drive and Golf Course Road in Long Beach in 1946 as a convenience store, gas station and beer parlor.
In 1954, the Torgusons moved Torgy’s to its current location and opened Torgy’s Sundeck Resort and Motel. In April of 1966, Floyd and his son Marlin opened Torgy’s Lounge and Off Sale.
The following year, Torgy’s Sports Center and Marine was added on to the building but was later relocated four miles west and sold to Skip Johnson in 1972.
In 1996, Torgy’s on the Lake expanded and was remodeled to the way it looks today. The cabins were recently remodeled, and in 2011, Torgy’s added a 56-foot Fun Country Houseboat and began offering dinner cruises and private parties for up to 58 passengers.
Torgy’s on the Lake is located at 23583 North Lakeshore Drive, Glenwood on Lake Minnewaska.