On the street
• Thornton, Reif, Dolan, Bowen and Klecker, PA in Alexandria recently contributed 100 meals to Nutrition Services, Inc., which services the Alexandria area and nine Minnesota counties. This contribution is part of a year-long community support initiative undertaken by the law firm in recognition of the 100th anniversary of the Thornton Law Office.
• Marco, Inc. was named one of the Top 100 Workplaces in Minnesota for five consecutive years based on an employee-based survey project from the Star Tribune. Top Workplaces recognizes the most progressive companies in Minnesota based on employee opinions measuring engagement, organizational health and satisfaction. The analysis included responses from more than 58,000 employees at Minnesota public, private and nonprofit organizations.
• Doherty, which has a location in Alexandria, was awarded two high honors in the past month. It was recognized in May as a recipient of the 2014 Minnesota Business Ethics Award (MBEA), which recognizes Minnesota companies that exemplify the highest standards of ethical behavior and practices. It was also recognized in the Star Tribune as a 2014 Top Workplace. This designation was awarded after its employees were surveyed and asked to rank a variety of workplace factors, including engagement, organizational health and satisfaction.
• David Miller, registered representative with Cambridge Investment Research Inc. in Alexandria, merged his financial practice with Laraway Financial Advisors, Inc. on June 1. Laraway Financial is a complete financial advisory firm led by Steve Laraway. Miller will stay involved for an undetermined period of time to assist with the transition before he retires. He will work directly with Laraway Financial advisor James Schmitz to outline account management details moving forward.
• Paffrath Diamond Jewelers in Alexandria welcomes its newest team member, Heather Huwe. Huwe recently joined the team as a sales associate. Huwe received a Bachelor of Science in management from the University of Minnesota this spring and is also a graduate of the local technical college with an Associate of Applied Science in marketing and sales.
• Bethel Manor and Winona Shores at Ecumen Bethany Community invite the public to a pie and ice cream social on Tuesday, July 15 from 2 to 3:30 p.m. outside at Winona Shores, 1010 Lark Street, Alexandria. There will be pie, ice cream, music and fellowship. In the event of inclement weather, the festivities will be moved indoors. For information, call (320) 763-7200.