On the street
• The Hudson Cemetery Association annual meeting will be held Wednesday, May 7 at 6:15 p.m. A flag raising and memorial ceremony is planned at the cemetery located northeast of Forada, near Union Lake. There will be a presentation by the American Legion Color Guard, pastoral prayers and a veteran salute. The public is invited to bring any worn flags to be properly retired free of charge. The annual business meeting begins at 7 p.m. at the Forada City Hall, followed by refreshments. Everyone is invited to attend.
• Western National Insurance Group announced that Alexandria-based Dilley Zimny Insurance was named one of its 2014 Top 25 Central Region Agency Partners. The recognition is announced annually to spotlight an elite group of partners who have excelled based on performance and growth over the past six years. An agency must also demonstrate that it meets high standards of professional excellence and integrity in order to be considered for this recognition.
• Viking Antiques will celebrate its second year in business at Viking Plaza in Alexandria on Saturday, May 3. Shirley and Dennis Bestge, owners, invite the public to the grand re-opening and two-year anniversary celebration. It will include a gift with any purchase of $50 or more (while supplies last) and refreshments from 2 to 4 p.m. Viking Antiques was birthed out of an idea from mall management to fill vacant space. Now operating from a new location just inside the Glik’s entrance, it offers antiques, as well as home décor, collectibles and sporting merchandise.
• The Bon Ton Stores, Inc., parent company of Bon Ton, Boston Store, Bergner’s, Carson’s, Elder Beerman, Herberger’s and Younkers stores, is partnering with the March of Dimes to raise funds for the imbornto campaign for Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. This is the second year that Bon Ton has partnered with the March of Dimes on a national level to raise funds to support the mission to help improve the health of babies. The campaign, which began April 23, will run through Sunday, June 15. Customers have the opportunity to support the cause in Bon Ton stores, online at www.bonton.com, through the Bon Ton Pinterest page and through dedicated texting codes. Last year, Bon Ton raised more than $700,000 benefitting March of Dimes and its efforts to help parents and babies through research, education, vaccines and breakthroughs.
• Cisco recently named Marco, Inc. as its 2013 Central Area Small to Medium Business Partner of the Year. The award was presented to Marco for taking a leadership position in implementing unified communications and cloud networking systems amongst other Cisco technologies. Cisco recognized Marco for creating custom processes designed to help scale resources, extend sales reach and contribute to their growth. Marco is a Cisco Premier Partner meeting standards set forth by Cisco for networking competency, service, support and customer satisfaction. Marco serves customers throughout the Upper Midwest and nationally, with offices in Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota and Iowa.
• Author Patrick Stroh will have a book signing on Saturday, May 17 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Book World in Alexandria. Stroh is the author of Business Strategy: Plan, Execute, Win! and is the principal at Mercury Business Advisors, a firm providing business management advisory services. Stroh sits on the board of directors for Vail Place, a Minneapolis-based agency supporting those with mental illness, and also on the board of the Institute of Management Accountants.