Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Observations from the archives, 1989: Second ‘blizzard baby’ born

Email News Alerts

Rachel Barduson - Echo Press Columnist

1914, 100 years ago: At the regular monthly meeting of the Alexandria City Council, Cowing and Robards asked for a permit to place their gasoline tank under the sidewalk with a measuring apparatus on the edge of the sidewalk. The tank will be buried in the sand and be perfectly fireproof. Mr. Haberer objected to this, believing that the proper place for gasoline tanks should be in the rear. Mr. Sheldon objected, declaring if one is compelled to bury the tank the others who handle gasoline also should be made to do so. Mr. P.O. Unumb believed the system would be a good convenience for drivers of automobiles. It will also afford safer handling of gasoline. Cowing and Robards were given the permit. This motion carried with Haberer and Sheldon voting in the negative.

Advertisement
Advertisement

1964, 50 years ago: After occupancy by the Peterson family for nearly 60 years, the building occupied by Peterson Drug was purchased by the family. The building has been owned by the George Teeson family since it was constructed in 1881, and was sold to the Petersons by Teeson. The corner where the building stands, at Lincoln and Broadway, originally was occupied by a blacksmith shop built and owned by Robert Walker, grandfather of George Teeson. Teeson recalls that his grandfather, who came here in 1868, once held a government contract to shoe oxen, which pulled the Red River Valley carts from here to Winnipeg. Walker later moved the blacksmith shop to the corner of Sixth and Hawthorne, where Oppel’s Washeteria now stands. Since construction, the Peterson Drug building has always housed a drug store on the main floor. George Spaulding had the first drug store there, and C.O. Peterson, father of Clifford Peterson Sr., senior member of the present firm occupying the quarters, first worked for Spaulding. Peterson bought the business from Spaulding in 1905.

1989, 25 years ago: Last weekend’s storm brought blizzard conditions and 50 below zero wind chills, creating life-threatening conditions. Cheryl Balgaard of Ashby seems to have a knack for giving birth in the middle of blizzards. Her first blizzard baby was born when Cheryl and Stanley and their 1-year-old son, Andrew, were stranded in their rural Ashby trailer house during a raging snowstorm. Cool, calm and collected, they brought their second son, Aaron Joseph, into the world. Their second blizzard-baby was born this weekend, snowbound at Cheryl’s parents’ farm near Evansville. Cheryl was overdue and the couple went to visit for the night, just in case. Cheryl’s father is Dr. James Lueders. Her mother, Charlotte, was once a registered nurse. Labor pains began at 1 a.m. and a baby girl, Anna Louise, was born at 2:40 a.m.

2004, 10 years ago: The Douglas Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors recently chose Eric and DeAnn Satterlie and Randy and Julie Satterlie as the 2003 Outstanding Conservationists for Douglas County. The Satterlies were chosen for this award because of their dedication and contributions in applying conservation practices on their farms. Between the two farms, Eric and Randy have installed 52 sediment blocks, 12 terraces (10,775 feet), grass waterways, buffer strips, three shelterbelts, a 15-acre wetland with rough fish control structure, and have practiced no-till farming.

Just for fun – 1914, 100 years ago: Buy it because it’s a better car: Model T Touring car f.o.b. Detroit $550. Runabout f.o.b. Detroit $500.

• • •   

Rachel Barduson of Alexandria is a regular contributing columnist to the Echo Press Opinion page.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness