Nonprofit seminar offers information on legacy giving
Alexandria Leave A Legacy invites area nonprofit leaders to a free, educational seminar entitled “Nurturing Legacy Donors: Practical Steps to Inspire Legacy Giving,” presented by Kim Embreston, CFRE, West Central Initiative.
Embretson is the vice president of Development at West Central Initiative in Fergus Falls.
The seminar will take place on Tuesday, April 22 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Grand Arbor, 4403 Pioneer Road Southeast, Alexandria.
The cost is free for Alexandria Leave A Legacy members. The cost for lunch is $10 for non-members.
Participants of the workshop will take home actions they can use to build better relationships with potential legacy donors.
Alexandria Leave A Legacy is comprised of a group of local nonprofit leaders and professional advisors who work collaboratively to identify ways to increase the community’s awareness and understanding of charitable giving.
These nonprofits rely on the community for their survival and support. While many charities receive some support from government agencies, the majority of their funding comes from the public.
Leaving a legacy through charitable giving in a will or trust fund is one of the many ways community members can support local nonprofits.
Here are some steps to follow to leave a legacy:
● Make sure to have an up-to-date will or living trust that reflects charitable objectives. Without these documents, control of property and assets is surrendered to the courts.
● Contact a financial advisor or planner, lawyer or accountant and ask for help in establishing a charitable gift.
● Think beyond cash. Leave stocks, bonds, real estate, insurance policies or personal property to charitable organizations.
● Make the preferred charity a beneficiary of life insurance, pension plan or IRA.
● Contact a charity and begin the conversation of how to achieve charitable giving goals and help the nonprofit extend its mission for greater benefit of the Alexandria area.
For more information on the Alexandria Area Leave A Legacy initiative, visit leavealegacyalexandria.org or contact any of the following Steering Committee members: Kelli Wendel, (320) 762-4255; Katie Perry, (320) 763-1153; Becki Jordan, (320) 762-1995; Jessica Boyer, (320) 763-4840; or Kim Embreston, 1-800-735-2239.