MnDOT: Don't travel on I-94 between Alexandria and Moorhead
Due to deteriorating conditions, the Minnesota Department of Transportation and Minnesota State Patrol strongly advise no travel on Interstate 94 between Alexandria and Moorhead and Highway 10 between Moorhead and Detroit Lakes.
A no travel advisory was issued earlier today for west central Minnesota and should be observed by all motorists traveling in the region until the winter storm passes. Hazardous driving and blizzard-like conditions combined with speeds too fast for conditions are resulting in crashes and roll-overs on area highways.
If travel is absolutely necessary, Mn/DOT recommends the following for safe driving:
- Drive cautiously and according to conditions
- Be particularly aware of black ice conditions
- Do not use cruise control
- Leave extra room between your vehicle and snowplows or other removal equipment - snowplows travel much slower than the posted speed
- NEVER drive into a snow cloud
- Plan ahead regarding travel time - don't put your schedule before safety
- Always use seat belts
For more information:
- Call 5-1-1 or log on to www.511mn.org for road condition information when traveling in the west central and northwest areas Minnesota where severe weather and potential flooding conditions exist.
- Log on to http://www.dot.nd.gov/roadreport/roadreport/roadreport.asp for North Dakota current road conditions.