Maritime museum now open: New exhibit tells story of Larson Boat Works
The Minnesota Lakes Maritime Museum is pleased to announce it has a new exhibit.
The new History of Larson Boat Works exhibit tells the story of Larson Boat Works of Little Falls.
It follows the company from its beginnings in Paul Larson's garage in the early 1900s through the transition to fiberglass boats in the 1960s and its emergence on to the national scene as a leader in fiberglass runabout production and design.
The Earl and Virginia Geiger family are the underwriters of the exhibit. Earl Geiger was Paul Larson's partner during the early 1960s.
A video interview with Geiger highlights the company's strategy as it developed a nationwide dealer network, supported by innovative marketing, such as Larson's appearance on the very popular, The Price if Right, television program.
The exhibit includes Larson watercraft from The Mikkelson Collection Inc. of Willmar. Lee Wangstad, a maritime historian from Nisswa, was the project's researcher and writer.
John Monahan of the Boat Works, in Little Falls, extensive collection of Larson memorabilia was a source for many of the visuals in the exhibit.
The Minnesota Lakes Maritime Museum, which is open from mid-May through mid-October, is open seven days a week - Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. It is closed on holidays.
More information can be found on the museum's website at www.mnlakesmaritime.org. Or for more information, contact the museum's director, Bruce Olson, at (320) 759-1114.