IT Department provides technology-based services for county
Editor’s note: This is part of a series of letters the Echo Press is publishing as part of national County Government Month.
To the editor:
The Douglas County Department of Information Technology (IT) is dedicated to providing and supporting reliable technologies and technology-based services in a timely, high-quality, cost-effective manner to all clients of county government.
The department head is the Information Technology director, which is an appointed position by the County Board of Commissioners. The department has four employees, in addition to the director. Specifically, the IT Department provides the following services to county government and its business partners:
• Help desk services provides first call for help for hardware and software problems to all Douglas County departments.
• Application services analyze, implement and maintain application software to meet county business needs.
• Infrastructure technical services designs, installs, secures, schedules, monitors and supports the Local Area Network, servers and back-up systems.
• PC technical services provide consultation, configuration, installation and support for the county’s personal computers and Local Area Network resources, such as printers and server access.
• Telecommunication management manages and supports all land-line telephone and fax lines.
Recent department projects have included server operating system upgrades, redesigning public and internal websites, IP phone implementation, improved remote access technologies and mobile device management. In addition, the department continually assists townships with data requests, taxpayer address changes, and provides data entry services for the county fair.
The IT department is located on the third floor of the courthouse at 305 8th Avenue West in Alexandria.
Information Technology Department
Douglas County, MN