Fire destroys shed in Alexandria
A fire destroyed a shed at 607 5th Avenue East in Alexandria at about 12:30 p.m. Thursday.
When firefighters arrived at the scene, flames were spreading quickly throughout the small structure, sending thick clouds of black smoke into the air.
The fast-moving blaze took down overhead powerlines, setting off sparks of electricity as the lines popped and snapped. A nearby tree also caught fire.
The shed, a detached building in a backyard, was consumed in a matter of minutes.
No injuries were reported.
Traffic had to be rerouted in the area to let firefighters and electrical workers do their job.
More information will be printed as it becomes available.