Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Douglas County gets $155,441 for storm relief

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Alexandria, 56308
Alexandria Minnesota 225 7th Ave E
P.O. Box 549
56308

ST. PAUL -- The Minnesota Legislature overwhelmingly approved disaster-relief funds Monday for 20 counties, including Douglas, during one of the shortest special sessions in recent years.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The Senate passed the bill 59-0, with eight absentees, followed by the House 127-1 as six members were gone. It took four hours for the formalities, committee meetings, floor debate and the vote.

Monday's action sends $4.5 million to 18 counties affected by June storms and floods and frees up $219,000 for Rock and Nobles counties and the city of Worthington to use to recover from an April ice storm.

Douglas County will receive $155,441 in aid. The funds are to go to local governments, with no aid available to home and business owners.

Few spoke against anything in the disaster-relief bill, but Republicans used the opportunity to complain that the brief session did not take the opportunity to overturn the "man-made disaster" of tax increases the Democratic-controlled Legislature and Governor Mark Dayton approved earlier this year.

Senator Bill Ingebrigtsen, R-Alexandria, said that the tax increases, including one on farm equipment repair, are driving business to nearby states. He talked about billboards declaring that Wisconsin, South Dakota and North Dakota are "open for business."

"Let's make these signs go away," he said.

Eight counties in the district of Senator Torrey Westrom, R-Elbow Lake, will receive disaster-relief money, and he said he was grateful. "This was not a major disaster ... but even small disasters in communities are important where they happen."

However, he joined other Republicans in attacking tax increases.

Senator Bill Weber, R-Luverne, said that his southwestern Minnesota communities sought $1 million more for ice storm recovery, but he did not fight for the money since legislative leaders rejected the idea.

"I know what the outcome is going to be," he said before the vote.

The June 20-26 storms forced power outages on 600,000 Minnesota homes and businesses, the largest loss of electricity in state history. Mudslides closed roads.

"Thousands of mature trees were uprooted," said Deputy Commissioner Joe Kelly of Minnesota Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

Counties to get money for recovery from the June disaster are Benton, Big Stone, Douglas, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Grant, Hennepin, Houston, McLeod, Morrison, Pope, Sibley, Stearns, Stevens, Swift, Traverse and Wilkin.

Democrats and Republicans agreed that changes are needed in the disaster-relief procedure used by the state.

"I don't expect that this special session is the end of the conversation," Senate Finance Chairman Dick Cohen, DFL-St. Paul, said.

Cohen and other leaders said they expect the process to change next year.

Advertisement
Echo Press (320) 763-3258 customer support
Don Davis has been the Forum Communications Minnesota Capitol Bureau chief since 2001, covering state government and politics for two dozen newspapers in the state. Don also blogs at Capital Chatter on Areavoices.
Advertisement
Advertisement