Commissioners hold special meeting
The Douglas County Board of Commissioners held a special meeting on Tuesday to take care of some business items before switching to its new meeting schedule on the first and third Tuesday of every month.
SUPPORTING HANDS The board approved a $67,000 contract for Mary Jo O’Brien as the executive director of the Supporting Hands Nurse-Family Partnership.
The contract is for O’Brien to oversee the partnership through the end of 2014. The program gives low-income, first-time mothers access to registered nurses early in their pregnancies to help them make healthy choices that will affect their babies’ future.
The Supporting Hands Nurse-Family Partnership is an 18-county collaborative including Douglas County.
OTHER BUSINESS In other business Tuesday, the board:
• Approved Commissioner Jerry Johnson to attend quarterly meetings with the city of Alexandria and the Douglas County Fair Board to represent Douglas County.
• Approved year-end regular bills from 2013 of $3,081,685.
• Denied an application for the settlement and abatement of delinquent taxes, penalties, interest and costs upon real estate.
• Approved charitable gambling permits for the Minnesota Deer Farmers Association and United Way of Douglas and Pope Counties to conduct raffles at Arrowwood Resort.
• Established a 2014 Horizon stipend for the public health director.
· Designated 20 percent of the receipts from the sale of tax forfeited land to be used for acquisition and maintenance of Douglas County parks or recreation areas.
• Approved a vehicle maintenance contract between Douglas County and Shutter’s Tire and Auto.
• Approved ash landfill, demolition, transfer station, disposal hauler and excavator/landscaper licenses.