Publish January 3, 2018
ORDINANCE NO. 780
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING CITY CODE SECTION 9 AND SECTION 10 FOR THE PURPOSES OF PROVIDING POLLINATOR HABITAT OPPORTUNITIES AND REGULATING SAME
The City Council of the City of Alexandria hereby ORDAINS:
SECTION I. That Section 9.55, Subd.1, C of the Alexandria City Code is hereby amended by insertion of the of the following, prior to the period at the end of the sentence:
"including pollinator habitat as provided elsewhere in this Code."
SECTION II. That Section 10.02, of the Alexandria City Code is hereby amended by the appropriately numbered insertion of the following:
Section 10.02. Definitions.
240. Pollinator Habitat. Flowering and non-flowering plants, including both native and non-native species, that provide pollen- and nectar-rich forage resources for butterflies, bees, and other insects, including bunch grasses at not more than 50% of the plant mix., and to exclude any noxious vegetation as provided in Section 9.55, Subd.1.F of this Code.
SECTION III. That Section 10.03, Subd. 2.I of the Alexandria City Code is hereby amended by the addition of the following:
8. Landscaping Providing Pollinator Habitat
a. On parcels larger than five (5) acres, or on adjoining/contiguous parcels under common ownership which total more than five (5) acres, pollinator habitat will be encouraged, but not required, subject to the following:
1. A planting and management plan, consistent with Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) job sheet CP42 be submitted for review and approval.
2. Said plan shall include a buffer area of not less than twenty (20) feet on sites smaller than ten acres, and not less than fifty (50) feet on sites ten acres or larger; said buffer to consist of non-pollinator habitat plantings which are to be maintained in accordance with the City's nuisance regulations.
3. A license be sought and obtained from the City for the initial installation as per said plan, and then renewed every third year while the installation is in place. Initial license fee to be $50.00, and fee to be adjusted from time-to-time by action of the City Council.
SECTION IV. This Ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage and publication.
ADOPTED by the City Council of the City of Alexandria this 26th day of December, 2017, by the following vote:
YES: Batesole, Kuhlman, Osterberg, Benson, Jensen
/s/ Sara Carlson, Mayor
/s/ Martin D. Schultz,